Oyster Mushrooms are not just tasty, they are really healthy too, but don’t just take our word for it.
The health benefits of oyster mushrooms have been enjoyed and appreciated in Asian cultures for thousands of years, and recent studies are shining a light on the nutritious and medicinal properties of these (and many other) amazing mushrooms.
Nutritional Benefits of Oyster Mushrooms
Here’s a quick look at why oyster mushrooms are so good for you.
1. Oyster mushrooms are low in calories.
2. They are fat free.
3. Oyster mushrooms contain no cholesterol.
5. Oyster mushrooms don’t contain gluten.
6. They are very low in sodium.
7. They are high in protein and fiber.
8. They’re rich in important vitamins and minerals like iron, zinc, potassium, phosphorus, selenium, calcium, folic acid, vitamins B1, B3, B5 & B12, vitamin C & vitamin D
Buy Dried Oyster Mushrooms
If you can’t find fresh oyster mushrooms nearby, then just pick up some dried oysters instead. You can easily rehydrate them and they go well in a range of different recipes.
Medicinal Benefits of Oyster Mushrooms
But the benefits don’t end there. Recent studies have shown that oyster mushrooms also have the following medicinal properties:
1. Some studies indicate that as part of a healthy diet, oyster mushrooms can help lower cholesterol.
2. Oyster mushrooms are high in antioxidants, which protect against stress and prevent disease.
3. Some studies show that oyster mushrooms can help fight cancer.
4. Eating oyster mushrooms can help to regular your blood sugar levels.
5. Oyster mushrooms may benefit your immune system and help protect against infection.
6. Consuming oyster mushrooms may help fight inflammation.
Medicinal Mushroom Extracts
If you’re interested in adding some medicinal mushrooms to your diet, the best way is with an organic mushroom extract.
The combination of great taste and health benefits explains why top chefs such as Raymond Blanc and Antonio Carluccio are huge mushroom fans.
It might also explain why in the UK mushrooms are now more popular than carrots, onions, broccoli and peppers!
Grow Your Own at Home!
Although most supermarkets and food stores now often stock oyster mushrooms, you’ll find they’re often grown far away and are in poor condition by the time they get to you.
So the best way to enjoy maximum taste and nutritional benefit is to grow your own.
The easiest way is with a kit. It’s super simple; you just need to spray with water each day and watch as the mushrooms grow within 14 days in your kitchen. (We suggest one of our GroCycle Mushroom Kits.)
Become a Low Tech Mushroom Farmer
If you’re really keen, you could even set up an ongoing production at home by building a mini mushroom farm.
If you want to find out more about growing mushrooms in the easiest way possible, join one of our courses.